Affirmations and Beliefs
Our affirmations and beliefs evolved from the Church community's desire to more fully express its core beliefs.
- We acknowledge that we are all on a spiritual journey, so we are moved to accept a diversity of belief and doubt.
- We accept as full members, with complete access to the rites of the church, and to service within the church, people of good will and faith, regardless of race, color, ethnic origin, physical ability, sexual orientation and status in society. In employment we also provide an equal opportunity.
- We affirm the Bible as our primary source of inspiration and understanding of God, but we do not necessarily adhere to a literal interpretation of Scripture.
- We affirm our belief in Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God, made known through the Holy Spirit.
- We affirm the right and obligation of the church to raise concerns about issues facing society, to critique the institutions of society which foster injustice, violence, racism, sexism and ageism and to act in response to these concerns.
- We care for God's Creation by adopting and advocating environmental stewardship that will preserve and restore Creation for our descendants and for all living things Earth.
- We affirm the pastor's freedom of the pulpit to proclaim the Word of God as it challenges the congregation to serve God.
- We affirm the priesthood of all believers, and hold that each member has rights, privileges and obligations in the governance of the church and in the furtherance of its mission.
Our interpretation of Scripture and the guidance of the Holy Spirit lead us to a faith that is full of hope, optimism and forgiveness.